What are cost centres?
In Employment Hero, cost centres would refer to locations that your employee work for accounting purposes.
For example, John Smith works in the Sydney Office, but from time-to-time, he would also work in the Melbourne Office - therefore, Sydney and Melbourne would be his cost centres.
How to assign a Primary Cost Centre?
To set an employee's primary cost centre, as an admin/owner, log in to Employment Hero and click on:
- Employee Files
- Select your employee
- Employment Details Tab
- Primary Cost Centre: Select your employee's cost centre from the drop down list
What is the purpose of an additional cost centre?
The purpose of an additional cost centre is to enable an employee access to locations that is not set as their default cost centre. This will allow them to select these additional options when submitting timesheets to ensure there is accurate reporting for accounting purposes.
For the example of John Smith, the Sydney Office would be his Primary Cost Centre and Melbourne would be an additional cost centre.
How do I add additional cost centres?
There are 4 different methods that can be used to add additional cost centres to an employees file. Each are listed out and explained below:
When onboarding a new employee through your Dashboard, you would be given the option to assign additional cost centres in Step 3 - Pay Details:
In an employee's file (Personnel > Employees > Select an Employee), under the Employment Details tab, you would be able to click on Edit and assign additional cost centres to your employee. Clicking Save when you have completed allocating will then enable your employees to select those cost centres.
CSV Import [Bulk Update]
CSV Importing is an option that would enable you to update Additional Cost Centres for multiple employees. If you click on Personnel > Import Employees > You would be able to download a CSV template. Within the CSV File you downloaded, you would need to follow these steps:
- Ensure you have 2 columns in your CSV file (Email [*], Additional Cost Centres [separate additional cost centres with '|'])
- For the Email [*] field it would already be pre-populated with your employees Account Emails
- In the Additional Cost Centres [separate additional cost centres with '|'] field, you would need to add additional cost centres in the following format as an example:
- New South Wales / Bondi|New South Wales / Town Hall| New South Wales / Wynyard
- You would seperate each cost centre with the | symbol
Importing from Payroll
Importing Additional Locations from Payroll will only occur for new employee files. Files that are currently synced to payroll will not import additional cost centres.
If you have an employee file that exists on your Payroll Platform (HeroPay or KeyPay) and it is imported to Employment Hero, this will also include the additional locations that you have selected for your employee.
How to use Additional Cost Centres if you currently have locations "Available to all employees"
If your organisation is currently using all Payroll Locations as "Available to all Employees" and you would like to utilise Additional Cost Centres on Employment Hero HR, you would need to follow these steps:
- Access your payroll platform locations
- Click on a location and ensure that "Available to all employees" is unticked for the options that you would like to assign to your employees
3. Once you have saved the above, access Employment Hero HR > Select Payroll Settings > Cost Centres > Update from Payroll
4. Next you would need to update each of your employees using 1 of the above methods (Employment Details or CSV Updating) to provide access to additional cost centres for your employees
Please note: Additional Cost Centres/Locations would need to be managed on Employment Hero HR. Updating this information on HR will enable it to flow across to your Payroll Platform.