Welcome to Employment Hero!
Your organisation has granted you manager level access to Employment Hero.
As a manager, you will be responsible for creating and approving certain actions which your employees will need to do.
This guide will cover the most common Employment Hero tasks expected of managers.
If you are signing into Employment Hero for the very first time, please follow the Getting Started section of our Employee User Guide.
Employment Hero: Manager Specific Functions
Once you are set up with an Employment Hero login, you are free to navigate the system and perform certain tasks.
This guide will explain the Manager-specific functions of Employment Hero.
If you have questions about general functions, please view our Employee User Guide.
The Dashboard is your default landing page when you log into Employment Hero.
From the Dashboard, you can see your current onboarding status, any assigned tasks and pay slips.
Managers can have the option of viewing the personal/employment details of employees who report directly to them.
Click on Personnel, then Employees.
This will bring up a list of employees who report to you.
By clicking on an employee name, this will bring up their personnel file.
Below are the default viewable sections:
- Overview: Key personal and work information, you can even add a profile picture.
- Personal Details: All relevant personal information (Name, DOB, address etc.)
- Employment History: History of positions
- HR Documents: Electronic documentation generated via Employment Hero
- Uploaded Documents: Managers and admins can upload company documents to a single employee file. These documents would be those outside the suite of documents and policies already in Employment Hero, usually relating to that particular employee.
- Emergency Contacts: Relevant emergency contact information - please keep this up-to-date
- Work Eligibility: Only applicable to individuals employed under a working visa (Employees who fit this criteria MUST complete this section - upload a copy of your visa and passport)
- Management Notes: Manages and admins can add notes specific to a single employee. The employee will not be able to view these notes.
- Audit Trail: Shows changes that have been made to a specific employee file
- Certifications: Certifications can be configured in Employment Hero by managers and admins, to monitor various types of licenses, qualifications and checks that employees may possess or be required to hold.
- Medical Disclosure Statement: Employers can determine whether an employee is able to perform the inherent requirements of their role by checking their Medical Disclosure Statement. Only applicable for employees who claim to suffer from a pre-existing injury, illness, medical condition or allergy.
- Leave Request Details: Shows details of leave requests you have lodged in the past.
As a manager, you may be able to edit some of these details depending on the permissions which your HR administrator has granted for Managers.
Your admin may need to set up Security Groups to grant you these permissions.
Certifications can be configured to require management approval, ensuring the information employees submit is valid.
Managers simply need to navigate to the certifications tab of their specific employees’ files. Those that require approval will show an ‘In Review’ status. To approve/decline follow these steps:
- Select the Certification under your Employee’s Personnel File
- Select ‘View Details’
- Read through the details
- Select ‘Approve’ or ‘Decline’
Once actioned, the status will update accordingly.
Declining a certification requires a reason to be documented, which will be added to the details of the certification. These details can be seen by the employee, so they can make necessary changes. Once a certification has been approved, declined details will be removed.
Certifications that have already been approved/declined, or do not require approval can be viewed by managers - simply click the ‘View Details’ button.
Employment Hero allows you to accept, edit and decline leave requests lodged by your employees.
If you wish to learn how to submit a Leave Request, please view the Employee User Guide.
When an employee submits a Leave Request, you will be notified by email and also within the Employment Hero application.
Select Leave, and then Management
On this page you will be able to filter out leave requests using the filters section (shown below). Just remember to hit the filter button to view the filtered list.
You will then be able to view leave request details. This page will show you the details of the leave request.
Note: The Projected balance at the bottom of a request shows the amount of leave at the time of the request this value does not reflect the employee's current leave balance. Please note that leave projections are only available to Employment Hero Payroll and KeyPay payroll systems. Speak to your Administrator to check if this is possible.
Your employees may be required to submit timesheets. You can approve these timesheet submissions via Employment Hero.
Select Timesheets, then Management. If you have any outstanding Timesheets to review, a blue number will appear next to the module:
On the below screen, you can run filters for your timesheets by Date, Employee, Cost Centre, and Status. Additionally, you can use Group By to sort the results of your filter.
To approve a timesheet, simply tick the box on the left column next to the corresponding timesheet submission, and then click the green Approve Selected button. You can also approve multiple Timesheet Requests with this method.
The Tasks module can be used to create, assign and manage scheduled tasks.
To create a new task, go to Tasks and click “Add new task”. The following box will appear:
- Enter a description of the exact task you wish to issue
- Set a due date for the task
- Enter relevant tags (optional)
- Select the employees you wish to assign the task to
After creating a task, an email will be sent to all assigned employees.
Any tasks which have been assigned to you will appear on the Dashboard:
These Tasks may including Onboarding Tasks which are automatically triggered when a new employee is onboarded via Employment Hero.
To acknowledge these tasks, click on the green “Complete” button.
The Task will then disappear from your Dashboard, and the person who assigned you the task will be notified that you have actioned the Task.
Rostering is only available for certain organisations using both Employment Hero HR and Employment Hero Payroll/Keypay.
Rosters can only be sent through Employment Hero Payroll/Keypay and therefore will not be covered in this Manager User Guide
Please speak to your administrator to confirm whether your organisation is using Employment Hero’s Rostering module.
As a manager, you can view or response to reviews of employees under your management.
To respond to reviews of your employee, log in to Employment Hero and go to:
- Reviews > Employee Reviews
- Find the employee with the corresponding Review Period and click on the employee's name.
You can respond to a list of Questions of the review and read the employee's response to these questions if they have answered.
As a manager, you can select all employees or individual employees on the page and send them reminder emails by clicking Remind Selected.
To view the history of an employee, go to:
- Reviews > Employee Review History
- Select an employee and the corresponding review period to view the previous reviews of this employee.
To view the reviews of indirect employees, go to:
- Reviews > Reporting Employees
- Select the relevant Review Period and then select Indirect Employees.
The safety module allows workplace incidents to be logged and managed.
To report an incident, click on Safety then “Report Incident”.
You will then need to enter in the specific details of the incident, which include:
- Enter date/time details
- Enter location of the incident
- Provide details of the incident (how and why the incident occurred)
- Identify the outcome of the incident- use the dropdown menu
- Select the nature of the injury - use the dropdown menu
- Specify body parts injured
Once you submit an incident report, your organisation’s nominated Worksafe authorities will be notified.
You may be assigned targets and metrics through the Goals module.
Work with your manager to plan goals and keep notes on your progress.
You can also use the Goals to view your Company and Team goals:
The Organisation Chart shows a hierarchy all employees and their primary managers.
i.e. the primary manager of Bob Wallace is Paul Allen whose primary manager is William Fence who has no manager.
All of an employee’s subordinates can be hidden by clicking
They can be made visible again by clicking the
If you believe that the reporting lines are incorrect, please contact your HR administrator and advise him/her of the needed correction.
Employment Hero Mobile
You can download the Employment Hero Mobile App for free for your Android or Apple device:
Click on the links below or search for “Employment Hero Mobile”.
The EH Mobile App’s current list of features include:
- Daily timesheet submission
- Pay Slips: listing, details, push notifications, PDF preview and download/share PDF*
- View leave balance breakdown*
- Leave request submission with the ability to edit leave hours
- Post announcements + react to announcements
- Daily timesheet approvals
- Leave approvals
- Staff directory
- Upcoming events
- Employee happiness survey
- View your daily timesheets and its status
- View your leave requests and its status
...and more to come!
* for organisations connected to an Employment Hero supported payroll system. Please confirm with your Employer if your organisation is able to use these feature.